Nutrition Pet Diet Tips Can Dogs Eat Grapes, Raisins and Other Similar Fruits?

Can Dogs Eat Grapes, Raisins and Other Similar Fruits?

- Advertisement -

Experienced dog owners are probably already aware of certain human foods that are toxic to dogs and not safe to eat even in small amounts.  One question that does come up often is: “Can dogs eat grapes?”

If you are a first-time dog owner, you may wonder if it is safe for your pooch to be eating grapes and raisins.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes?

No, dogs can’t eat grapes, raisins and other similar fruit. Grapes and raisins are highly toxic to dogs and they can even be fatal in some cases. If your dog ingests grapes or raisins, contact your veterinarian immediately. Even small amounts of grapes and raisins can be dangerous to dogs, especially for small breeds and puppies.

Although it is still unknown exactly what in grapes and raisins is toxic to dogs, it is known that grape and raisin toxicity can seriously affect their health. This is also the reason why you shouldn’t try to feed your dog seedless or peeled grapes. Basically, it is safe to say that grapes or raisins should never, ever find their way into your dog’s food bowl.

What Happens When Dogs Eat Grapes?

Ingestion of grapes and raisins is one of the most common food poisonings in dogs and it can sometimes lead to life-threatening conditions like sudden kidney failure. This condition can be fatal if not treated immediately because dogs’ kidneys eliminate toxins from the body.

Pay attention to some of the most common symptoms of grape poisoning:

  • Lethargy and weakness
  • Loss of appetite
  • Gastrointestinal issues like vomiting and diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain and tenderness to touch
  • Dehydration and increased thirst
  • Increased urine production or complete cessation of urine production

These early warning signs of kidney damage or a potential renal failure need to be addressed as soon as possible. So, let’s take a look at what you can do if your dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

How to Treat Grape Poisoning?

The first thing to do if your dog has ingested grapes or raisins is to call your vet. Don’t waste any time because a quick reaction can make a world of difference. Even if your dog isn’t showing any symptoms but you know that he ate grapes or raisins, contact your vet as soon as possible.

Your vet may suggest that you try to induce vomiting or he can do that if you take the dog into his office. Vomiting is induced to make sure that the fruit is removed from your dog’s system. If the ingestion occurred within 2 hours, vomiting will most likely be induced by the administration of activated charcoal.

After that, your dog may receive intravenous fluids for the next 48 hours. This is done to support your dog’s kidneys and prevent dehydration. Dehydration can be dangerous for dogs at any time, so make sure that his water bowl is always filled with fresh water.

Other possible treatment options include urinalysis and kidney medication. Your vet may also do an ultrasound to check the size of the kidneys and look for any mineral deposits.

How Many Grapes Are Too Many?

As we already said, even small amounts of grapes and raisins can be dangerous for dogs. However, the exact amount that can have serious effects on your dog’s health depends on many things, especially his size. Large breeds may not be affected by grape or two but small dogs can suffer serious consequences even from a single grape or raisin.

Additionally, your dog’s age and health may also play a role in the number of grapes or raisins that can be dangerous to him.

Another factor may be the type of grapes. However, since the exact reason for grape toxicity is still unknown, it is hard to say which grapes are more dangerous than others. In any case, it is crucial to prevent your dog from ingesting grapes or raisins so don’t leave them out in the open where your dog can get to them.

Brown raisins on white background. Part of the "Can Dogs Eat Grapes, Raisins and Other Similar Fruits?" article.
Photo by Erda Estremera on Unsplash

Conclusion

Grapes and raisins are among the most dangerous fruits and vegetables for dogs. They are extremely toxic to dogs and can cause a plethora of problems. The most serious condition caused by the ingestion of grapes and raisins is sudden kidney failure, which can even be fatal in some cases. Luckily not all fruits are dangerous.

If your dog has ingested grapes or raisins, contact your vet immediately. A quick reaction can save your dog’s life, so don’t waste any time.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Latest articles

Can Dogs Eat Yogurt? The Benefits And Risks Involved

The short answer is yes, dogs can eat yogurt. Knowing this and the fact that yogurt is nutritious and tasty leads to the question...

How Many Teeth Do Dogs Have? Your Dog’s Dental Health

Dogs get two sets of teeth. Just like humans, they start out with the milk teeth - also called the primary or baby teeth....

Diabetes in Cats: How to Recognize and Manage this Disease?

You are probably aware just how debilitating diabetes in humans can be. And you surely know what the reasons behind developing diabetes are. Surprisingly...

Dog Birthday Cake Recipes To Mark Fluffy’s Special Day

Your furry friend marks yet another year — and it’s now time to celebrate. What better way to do so than with a dog...

What Is Conjunctivitis in Dogs and How to Deal with It?

One of the most common eye problems in dogs is conjunctivitis, the inflammation of the conjunctiva tissue. This condition is also common in humans. In...